Join this Ask the Experts session with Freshfields’ Elizabeth Bieber and Sebastian Fain to discuss how shareholder voting trends—from oversight to overboarding to disclosure, ESG and compensation, and investor-specific developments—will impact the board re-election process and your shareholder engagement strategy.
The discussion will cover the following issues to help you prepare for the 2023 proxy season, now:
• Voting trends that hold directors personally responsible for corporate governance, strategic and other company considerations, including the use of so-called ‘name and shame’ lists
• The rising trend of pass-through voting at large institutional investors and the potential impact on director elections, other votes and shifting shareholder engagement strategy in response
• Other corporate voting profile trends, including the continued impact of proxy advisory firms
• Developing an effective shareholder engagement strategy, including how to think about the dueling pro-ESG and anti-ESG sentiment
• Elizabeth Bieber | Counsel, Freshfields
Elizabeth is counsel and head of shareholder engagement and activism defense in Freshfields’ New York office. Leza focuses on corporate governance issues, including activism and takeover defense preparedness.
• Sebastian Fain | Partner, Freshfields
Sebastian focuses on M&A, activism defense and corporate governance. His experience is centered on domestic and cross-border M&A, including public company mergers and de-SPAC transactions, private equity acquisitions and more.
• Host: Jamie Tassa | Publisher, Corporate Board Member